Second Century Library Endowment Fund – Newton
The Second Century Endowment Foundation was established in 1986, upon the celebration of the first century of operation of Newton Public Library. The mission of the Second Century Endowment Foundation is to enhance the adult collection of the Newton Public Library by increasing and promoting educational, literary and artistic resources available to our community. In 2011, the Foundation became an affiliate of the Central Kansas Community Foundation, Inc. with the new name: Second Century Library Endowment Fund – Newton. The funds will provide for an annual income for enhancements beyond those possible through general operating funds. More than just books are needed at Newton Public Library to be a part of today’s information society. Audio/visual materials, art works, computer programs and on-line access have joined the books and magazines to provide information and recreation to individuals. A gift to future generations through the Second Century Library Endowment Fund – Newton will make you a part of the legacy which will keep Newton Public Library an important informational and recreational access location for the community. Make it happen!
- Add to the CD/DVD/e-book collections.
- Continue a quality music collection.
- Add to the reference and business collection to better serve the community.
- Enhance the genealogy collection to help family researchers.
- Upgrading of all resources available in the library.
- Keep pace with technological information.
Use this form to send gifts or pledges to: Second Century Library Endowment Fund – Newton, Newton Public Library, 720 North Oak Newton, Kansas 67114
The Flower & Garden Tour
After one year off due to the extreme drought, the Second Century Board will host the 2014 Newton – North Newton Flower & Garden Tour to benefit Newton Public Library. This 19th Tour and fund raiser will be held Saturday, June 7, 9 AM – 1 PM and Sunday, June 8, 1 – 5 PM. $8 donation tickets will be available at Newton Public Library, 720 N Oak, or at the Tour gardens during the tour.
Garden Talks will be given by local experts at various tour locations and times:
- Gary Moore will talk about “Landscape Using Water-Wise Principles” at the Frazier garden on Saturday, June 7 at 10:15 AM and 10:45 AM and on Sunday at 2:45 PM and 3:15 PM
- Rosie Goering Brandt will talk about “Heritage Gardens” at the Pauls garden on Saturday, June 7 at 9:30 AM and on Sunday, June 8 at 1:45 PM
- Rod Wedel will talk about “Backyard Birding” at the Pauls garden on Saturday, June 7 at 10 AM and on Sunday, June 8, at 2:15 PM
- Ben Miller, Stutzmans Greenhouse & Garden Center, will talk about “Selecting the Best Genetics for Kansas” at the Wellman garden on Saturday, June 7 at 11:00 AM and 11:30 AM
- Duane Friesen will talk about “Community Gardening” at Sand Creek Community Gardens on Saturday, June 7 at 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM and on Sunday, June 8, at 3:30 PM & 4:00 PM
See highlights from the 2009 Flower and Garden Tour.
See highlights from the 2010 Flower and Garden Tour.
See highlights below from the 2012 Flower and Garden Tour.
Second Century Library Endowment Fund Advisory Board Members are:
Cyril Brown, President
Helen Pauls (Friends of NPL Representative) Vice-President
Jan Hoberecht, Treasurer
Marianne Eichelberger, Secretary (Library Director)
Peggy Souder (Library Board Representative)
- Pat Denno
Call 316-283-2890 for more information. Proceeds go to the Endowment Fund.
Miss Florence Bessmer established The Florence Bessmer Foundation in 1979. The Foundation provides for the housing and equipment for modern, educational and entertainment programs and uses for children, including furniture, shelving, books, materials, audiovisual and learning aids, as well as for facility enhancements. She established the fund because for most of her 100+ years she was actively and ardently interested in the welfare of children. The Florence Bessmer wing was completed in 1980 and serves as a meeting room for library and public functions. Income from the Florence Bessmer Foundation currently provides for special programs, print and nonprint resources for children, and more.
The Florence Bessmer Foundation Board members are:
- Ron Lang, Chairman
- Ray Penner, Treasurer
- John Robb, Secretary
- Barth Hague, NPL Board President