Application process for job opportunities at Newton Public Library:
Job openings will be listed on this page.
PART-TIME LIBRARY AIDE – NEWTON PUBLIC LIBRARY, NEWTON, KANSAS
Newton Public Library seeks a dynamic person with enthusiasm, people-oriented, experience with technology, knowledge of library services and minimum 16 years of age. Must have flexible schedule and be available to work most hours library is open. Approximately 15 hours per week.
Job Duties Include, But Are Not Limited to the Following:
- Actively greet and assist patrons with access to library materials, online databases, Internet resources, and computer applications.
- Assist patrons in selecting library materials through knowledge of authors and types of literature.
- Assist with collection development and maintenance such as inventory, shelving and shelf reading by approved library filing techniques and the Dewey Decimal system weeding of library materials based on NPL Collection Development policies and guidelines.
- Answer directional questions and refer patrons to appropriate staff member(s).
- Provide reference, information, readers’ advisory, referral services, and interpretation of policies to patrons.
- Arrange returned materials on book carts and re-shelve them in proper order.
- Perform circulation desk procedures including but not limited to manual processes and computerized checking in and checking out library materials, retrieve library materials from book drops, registration of patrons, placing and supplying holds, entering magazine holdings, changing status of barcodes, printing lists, searching and informing patrons of messages, overdues, and manage book drop and collecting money for fines and other library monetary transactions.
- Prepare, repair, or recondition library materials.
- Provide advisory services and bibliographic instruction.
- Provide basic instruction to patrons on specified equipment, library software and databases.
- Requests interlibrary loan materials and maintains interlibrary loan files.
- Actively participate in continuing education efforts.
- Assist with opening and closing, and follow safety and emergency procedures.
- Assist with physical appearance of service areas and maintenance of building, advising Director of needed actions and performing routine custodial functions when no custodian is present.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Submit Newton Public Library Application Form with cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: Marianne Eichelberger, Library Director, Newton Public Library, 720 N Oak, Newton, KS 67114, meichelb @ newtonplks.org. EEO.