Application process for job opportunities at Newton Public Library:
Newton Public Library seeks a dynamic, people-oriented person with enthusiasm, experience with technology, knowledge of library services and minimum 16 years of age. Must have flexible schedule and be available to work mornings or afternoons when library is open. Approximately 10-15 hours per week.
Job Duties Include, But Are Not Limited to the Following:
- Actively greet and assist patrons with access to library materials, online databases, Internet resources, and computer applications.
- Assist patrons in selecting library materials through knowledge of authors and types of literature.
- Assist with collection development and maintenance such as inventory, shelving and shelf reading by approved library filing techniques and the Dewey Decimal system, weeding of library materials based on NPL Collection Development policies and guidelines.
- Answer directional questions and refers patrons to appropriate staff member.
- Move and shift library collections to resolve space limitations as directed by Supervisor.
- Perform alpha-numeric sorting and filing tasks.
- Perform circulation desk procedures including but not limited to retrieve library materials from book drops, and overdues.
- Prepare, repair, or recondition library materials.
- Shelf read and straighten materials on the shelves or in the collection while shelving and in other assigned areas.
- Assist with opening and closing, and follow safety and emergency procedures.
- Assist with physical appearance of service areas and maintenance of building, advising Director of needed actions and performing routine custodial functions when no custodian is present.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may lift and/or move by pushing or pulling up to 50 pounds. Must be able to have physical stamina to provide active service to patrons during workdays of up to four hours. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
Submit cover letter, resume, Newton Public Library Application Form and three references to: Marianne Eichelberger, Library Director, Newton Public Library, 720 N Oak, Newton, KS 67114. EEO.