Application process for job opportunities at Newton Public Library:
Enjoy going to visit with our wonderful seniors and talk about books to read? Have we got the part-time position for you!
TITLE: Library Aide – ENLITE
POSITION SUMMARY: Under immediate supervision Adult Services Supervisor, selects, delivers and retrieves library materials for homebound senior citizens or residents of care facilities who are ENLITE patrons. Provides personal vehicle for visits to ENLITE patrons, and performs clerical, circulation and related library work as required.
HOURS: Hourly – non-exempt for purposes of Fair Labor Standards Act. Less than 15-hour work week.
- Actively greet and assist patrons with access to library materials.
- Promote access to library through ENLITE program.
- Selects, delivers and retrieves with personal vehicle library materials for ENLITE patrons in Newton and North Newton.
- Assist patrons in selecting library materials through knowledge of authors and types of literature.
- Assist with ENLITE circulation reports.
- Assist with Large Print collection development and maintenance such as inventory, shelving and shelf reading by approved library filing techniques and the Dewey Decimal system weeding of library materials based on NPL Collection Development policies and guidelines.
- Answer directional questions and refers patrons to appropriate staff member.
- Move and shift library collections to resolve space limitations as directed by Supervisor.
- Perform alpha-numeric sorting and filing tasks.
- Perform circulation desk procedures including but not limited to retrieve library materials from book drops, and overdues.
- Prepare, repair, or recondition library materials.
- Shelf reads and straightens materials on the shelves or in the collection while shelving and in other assigned areas.
- Follow safety and emergency procedures.
- Assist with physical appearance of service areas and maintenance of building, advising Director of needed actions and performing routine custodial functions when no custodian is present.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to be courteous to coworkers, work effectively in shared workspace, value diverse work styles, accept and give constructive criticism in a positive manner and be sensitive to personal habits that impact coworkers.
- Ability to calculate basic arithmetic problems (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) without the aid of a calculator.
- Ability to carry out assignments independently, effectively evaluate or make independent decisions based upon experience, knowledge or training, without supervision.
- Ability to create a welcoming environment for public and staff.
- Ability to develop a working understanding of current library record keeping and filing systems.
- Ability to read, write and speak effectively.
- Ability to sort efficiently in alphabetic or number order, and to develop a working understanding of the Dewey Decimal system of library materials arrangements.
- Ability to understand and perform routine library procedures.
- Ability to drive a vehicle.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Education equivalent to sophomore in high school, minimum 16 years of age; High School Diploma or GED preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Submit Newton Public Library Application Form with cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: Marianne Eichelberger, Library Director, Newton Public Library, 720 N Oak, Newton, KS 67114, meichelb @ newtonplks.org. EEO.
Job openings will be listed on this page.