Need Information or Digital Materials?
What’s New? Hoopla! Instantly borrow eBooks, audiobooks, comics, movies, music, TV series and more, 24/7 with your Newton Public Library card. No waiting, no late fees, four items a month are always available.
Another Great Resource! Linkedin Learning (formerly Lynda.com) offers online video tutorials and training in many subjects, including 3-D animation, audio, music, CAD, design, developer, education, IT, marketing, photography, video, and web.
Databases from the State Library of Kansas – available to all Kansans
- Search for your subject in books, magazines, journals, newspapers, encyclopedia articles, and other resources brought to Kansans by the State Library of Kansas. Visit the State Library’s website for a full list, or use the links below.
- The State Library website may detect your location based on your IP address and give you immediate access. If that feature does not work, you will need to get a State Library e-Card. Call 316-283-2890 or email email@example.com and a staff member can issue an e-Card to you.
Selected State Library Databases:
- Auto Repair Source – find vehicle repair information, including wiring diagrams
- Business Searching using Business Source Premier – full text for more than 2,100 business journals
- Consumer Health Complete – consumer-oriented information on health-related topics
- Explora Multi-Search – topical resources for the general public
- History Reference Center – comprehensive full text history reference database
- Literary Reference Center – information on thousands of authors and their works
- Small Business Reference Center – information on topics related to starting a company, operations management, sales, and growing or rescuing a business
- NEW! Today’s Science – Seeks to connect science as it’s taught in classrooms with the discoveries being made every day by scientists around the world. Features more than 6,000 articles, hundreds of videos, plus discussion questions, crossword puzzles and curriculum tools.
- genealogy resources, available only on computers used inside the Library
- trusted information for children, young adults, and general reference
- collections, digitized through the South Central Kansas Library System, that may include text documents, letters or diaries, maps, photographs, audio and/or video files that reflect the history of an individual library and its community, or are of general historical interest
- features history resources digitized by Newton Public Library, including oral history videos and audio recordings from the local area, as well as an index to the obituaries printed in Newton, Kansas, newspapers.
- discover your family’s military past
- Create resume content with a step-by-step resume-writing guide.
- Format your resume by selecting a design template and font.
- Download and email your resume in multiple formats.
- Note: You must create your account after clicking on the above link, or you will be sent to the non-free version. Click “Build my Resume Now” to get started.
- search the census, books, Revolutionary War records, Freedman’s Bank and other records
- instantly borrow eBooks, audiobooks, comics, movies, music, TV series and more with your Newton Public Library card. Borrow up for four items per month with no waiting, no late fees, and items listed are always available
- search holdings of 900 Kansas libraries
Learning Express from Ebsco
- academic and career-oriented resources, including practice tests, tutorials, and job-search and career-guidance information
- Job and Career Accelerator
- improve your skills in business, technology or creative pursuits
- more than a thousand video courses of project-based, in-person learning
- formerly known as Lynda.com
- online language-learning system teaching conversation skills for a wide variety of languages, available to NPL cardholders
- through a contract with OverDrive, audio books, ebooks, music and videos are available, using your Newton Public Library card
- learn on your own time from real instructors and receive free Continuing Education Units (CEU) on selected courses
- This online resource for preschoolers and children in the early elementary grades includes 125+ interactive videos; 350+ photographs; 400+ educational activities and games designed to reinforce reading comprehension; and aids for preschool classrooms, library story times, and at home learning.
- An ideal learning resource for elementary-aged students designed to build confidence and encourage creativity with image-driven navigation and inquiry-based activities. The site features easy-to-read articles that can be read aloud or translated, and a wealth of engaging games, science projects, and activities. Encourage self-direction with visual navigation in Explore, independent learning with WebQuests, and compare and contrast skills with Compare Animals and Compare Places. Includes additional teaching tools for educators and parents.