Newton Public Library is getting ready to move into its new building. Here is what you need to know about our plans for closing, reopening, and library services.
Closing and Reopening Dates
• Our last day serving the public in the current library will be Saturday, March 2. The library will be closed starting Monday, March 4, as we move our collection and get situated in the new building.
• We anticipate opening in the new library on Monday, April 1. More details on a ribbon-cutting or other opening-day celebration will be announced closer to that time.
• During the closure, the public won’t be able to reach library staff by phone. The best ways to reach us will be email – email@example.com – or Facebook message. Responses may be delayed, particularly during the week of March 4-8.
• After the new library opens, there will still be ongoing work in Phase 2 to demolish the existing library and create off-street parking. This work is expected to be complete in late summer 2024.
Borrowing and Returning Library Materials
• Patrons are welcome to borrow items right up until closing time at 6 p.m. on March 2. The more you check out, the less we have to move! Due dates that would normally fall during the closure will be extended until after we reopen.
• Those who want to return items during the closure should be able to put them in the new library building’s exterior book drop, which we plan to have open during the move. However, there may be substantial delays in materials check-in, because our computer systems will be offline at various times during the transition.
• The last day to request interlibrary loan materials will be Wednesday, Jan. 31. All interlibrary items will need to be returned no later than Feb. 29. This includes both community book club and general patron requests. Community book clubs that need books for March are encouraged to use our book sets.
• The library’s collection of e-books and digital audiobooks is always available, 24/7. For more information on digital borrowing, visit www.newtonplks.org/ebooks, or contact the library.
Services and Programs
• Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)’s 2024 season will start at the current building on Feb. 5, then move to Immanuel Baptist Church during the library closure, before concluding in the new facility. VITA info sheets and packets are available now. For full VITA hours, dates and information, go to www.newtonplks.org/tax.
• The ENLITE delivery service for patrons who are homebound or live in senior communities will not be offered during March.
• Library-sponsored book clubs (Third Thursday, Mystery Lovers, Nonfiction and Sci-Fi/Fantasy) will not meet during March.
Follow Newton Public Library on Facebook to keep up to date with closing and opening announcements.