Newton Public Library will roll out new catalog and circulation software on Monday afternoon, Aug. 28. The new system has some great features that we can’t wait to share! There are a few things you need to know as we get ready to execute the switchover:
• The library will be closed on Friday, Aug. 25, in part so that staff can train on the new software. The library will also close early, at 3 p.m., on Monday, Aug. 28, to start the actual system migration.
• Digital borrowing (e-books and e-audiobooks) may be unavailable from Monday afternoon, Aug. 28, until Tuesday morning, Aug. 29. Once that’s back online, you may need to log back into the Sunflower eLibrary on the Libby app, using your NPL card number.
• Your PIN/password will be reset to the last 4 digits of the primary phone number on your account. This will affect both Libby/Overdrive and your NPL account login. If you have trouble logging back in, please don’t hesitate to call 316-283-2890 or stop by the library for assistance.
• Unfortunately, your notification preferences (text messages, emails or phone calls) cannot be exported to the new system. If your library account has a saved email address, you will receive email notifications by default. If not, you will receive phone calls by default. Text message notifications are still available; please contact the library on Tuesday, Aug. 29, or later, if you would like to switch back to texts or otherwise adjust your notification preferences.
• Reading lists you may have saved within the current catalog website will not be transferred. If you’d like to preserve your lists, please use the built-in “Email List” function, or print them off before Monday. The new catalog website will also allow you to bookmark items for future reference, but those selections will need to be transferred manually.
Library cards and card numbers will not change, and patron records (address, items currently checked out, etc.) will transfer to the new system.
If you have the online catalog bookmarked in your web browser, you will need to update the URL. The new, direct URL is: https://newtonplks.biblionix.com/catalog. (Please continue to use the old URL until Tuesday.) If you usually access the online catalog by going to www.newtonplks.org and clicking on the “Search Catalog” link, that will continue to work.
We apologize for any inconvenience during this transition, and we appreciate your patience and support as we work to make the library more effective!